Home > Library > Infographic: How to Deal With Hoarders
Infographic: How to Deal With Hoarders
There isn't much a property manager can do to prevent hoarding; but if not handled properly, specific cases could trigger a fair housing complaint.
Follow these steps to handle cases of hoarding properly and ensure your property remains safe and healthy for all residents.
- Pay attention to bug infestation or rodent problems
- If there is a problem, approach resident with sensitivity and compassion
- When visiting tenants take notes, point out health and safety issues
- Discuss strategies to reduce potential for harm, encourage resident to resolve issues
- Create a plan of action for the tenant
- Conduct brief check-ins to ensure compliance